Initially employed by James MacIntyre’s in Burslem after a distinguished training in Stoke and London, William Moorcroft developed a formidable reputation as a designer and his work was sought after by leading companies of the day such as Liberty & Co and Tiffany’s. Whilst at MacIntyres he was responsible for the design of the highly popular Florian Range that drew its inspiration from the Art Nouveau Movement. In 1904 it was William’s designs that were awarded the Gold medal at the St Louis Exhibition; the first of many international accolades. In 1913 William left MacIntyre’s to form his own Company, and in doing so developed a new range of designs and glazes; it was at this time that he built a flambé kiln and it is this work that is some of his best regarded that was later developed further by his son Walter who took over the running of the company in 1945. William’s most successful designs were bold and vivid drawing inspiration from the arts and crafts movement; fish, flowers and landscapes were decorated with a tube lined technique which has become synonymous with the Moorcroft factory. In 1928 Williams work was given royal patronage by Queen Mary and was awarded with the Royal Warrant.